My friends! So sorry to have been away for so long.
For those of you that don’t know, I published two contemporary romance novels on Amazon this summer: Cheating to Survive & Every Five Years. It has been rewarding and exhausting. The editing and marketing of both books have kept me from posting on Nutrition & Exercise Smoothie. But now that both books are published, I have returned. (For your patience, I have a special deal for you at the end of this blogpost. Stay tuned).
All that sitting though, took a toll on me. For those of you that know me, I don’t sit. At all.
- I’ve lifted weights at various gyms for almost 30 years
- I’ve run 5K’s, Mud Runs, and Spartan Races
- I Rock Climb
- I played volleyball (briefly)
- I go to playgrounds and amusement parks and water parks with my daughters and actually go on all the rides
- I garden like mad, and enjoy a good, deep, house cleaning
I don’t sit. I don’t watch TV.
So, sitting while writing and editing and marketing 2 books this summer, was new to me and I hated it. I also had no time for other things. Like exercise.
- After months of not going to the gym, I finally made an attempt back in April, only to find that my membership had expired! I didn’t bother renewing it knowing that I was publishing the following month
- I only rock climbed once in over a year
- I never ran. No races. I didn’t even walk around the block!
- I went to a water park once and it rained
- My house and car were both gross! GROSS!
- My backyard was overgrown with weeds instead of flowers!
And I felt it.
I started getting horrible pains in my lower back, in my butt, and shooting down my legs. I never experienced pain like this before. It really bothered me. I thought I had some terrible disease. I tried different stretches but nothing relieved it. Every time I sat at a desk or in my car, pain shot down my leg. It was difficult to sit for more than a few minutes.
Luckily, I work in a hospital with wonderful physical therapists. When I told them my symptoms, they said, “That’s weird,” (knowing me) “That usually happens from inactivity. From sitting around all day.”
I needed to move. I started walking and standing more. I took the stairs as much as I could. I started riding my neglected bike around the neighborhood for a half hour. 2 weeks ago, I spent a day gardening for almost seven hours and I loved it! Then I cleaned my entire house and my car, too.
With the novels behind me now, I feel better. I’m more active and I just rejoined the gym. I hope to return to rock climbing in Autumn.
This whole experience has taught me something, though. (The sitting on my butt and being in constant pain part, not the getting up and moving around part).
- You can’t do everything. There’s not enough time in the day. (Unless of course you spend five hours a day watching TV).
- But…more importantly: Sitting is deadly! Get up!
If I could do it all again, I’d have made working out, walking, and just exercising in general, more of a priority. There were times I was so excited about writing the next chapter, that I intentionally drove past the gym, went home, and plopped my butt in my computer chair. But now that the gorgeous, short summer is over here in New York, and I spent it editing, (albeit on my front porch), I want to be active again.
Here’s a great link, (thanks to my cousin Joe at Anastasi Fitness) about the Hazards of Sitting:
And another on How to Undue the Damage of Sitting:
My BEST advice to you though, is get up and move. Every day. At one point I was in so much pain, I thought I screwed something up so I sat even more! They said the pain was from my bones fusing together. That’s all I needed to hear. I needed to loosen them up and get moving.
So get up my friends. NO more sitting. Get those muscles and bones unfused and do something now.
Have you ever experienced pain, from sitting too much? Let me know.
I love hearing from you!
P.S. I’m giving you a special deal for all your support and patience while you waited for a new post. My first Novel, Cheating to Survive, if you would like to read it, is on sale this week (August 25 – August 29th) for only 99 cents. Book 2, Every Five Years, is only $3.99. Grab both for $4.98. Enjoy. And thanks again. Love you guys!
Cheating to Survive – 99 cents – http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K87TGG4
Every Five Years – $3.99 - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MNPVZWM
The greatest compliment you can give me is when you share this with others.
I sincerely appreciate it: