Chobani Yogurt + Meal Planning + Exercise = Healthy Weight Loss!
As you all know by now, I love Greek Yogurt and recommend it all the time for weight loss, healthier eating, pre & post workout snacks, breakfast options, and as a topping or a condiment replacement. You can use it for just about anything at every meal and snack. The best part: it tastes great and packs a high-protein punch! For those of you that eat it regularly but aren’t sure why it’s so fantastic, or for those that have never tried it, here’s a quick list of some of it’s benefits:
Healthy Benefits of Greek Yogurt
- Protein! My favorite. Protein is so important in helping you feel full and satisfied after a meal so you don’t grab unhealthy snacks later on. Protein helps build those sexy muscles, too. Regular yogurt contains only 8gms of protein. Greek yogurt has between 10-20gms of protein! As much as 2-3 eggs.
- Probiotics! Not only does it ensure proper digestion and absorption of the nutrients you’re eating, but it acts as a ‘warrior’ protecting your intestines from bad bacteria that can cause illness and diseases, such as cancer, lactose intolerance and allergic reactions.
- Calcium! As we age, we tend to drink less milk and therefore, take in less calcium which is important for our bones. Osteoporosis=Bad. Calcium and strength training/weight lifting, will ensure your bones absorb plenty of calcium.
- High Blood Pressure! Dairy is an important element in the DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension)
. Wouldn’t you rather eat delicious yogurt then take another pill?
“What a great way to start the morning. Create your own combinations. Add berries, nuts, mangoes, flaxseed!”
Delicious Greek Yogurt Ideas & Recipes
- Substitute Plain, Fat-free Greek Yogurt for sour cream in tacos
- Use as a dip for veggies or fruit. For fruit: mix in a blender with dried cranberries. For veggies: blend in cucumber and dill, or see dip recipe below.
- Drizzle in a little honey, cinnamon, and walnuts for a true Greek dessert.
- Make a baked sweet potato even healthier with Plain Greek Yogurt dolloped on top
- Roll a banana in yogurt, then in healthy, crunchy cereal. Cut into bite sized pieces. You can freeze it, too!
- Dip Strawberries or Apples into Vanilla Greek Yogurt.
- Smear a whole grain waffle or pancakes with yogurt, then top with your favorite fruit like diced peaches.
- Add to your protein shake in addition to milk. See recipe below.
- Add fruit to Greek Yogurt to make it even healthier. Try mangoes, blueberries, or raspberries.
- Use Plain Greek Yogurt in place of mayo on your sandwiches, or in tuna/chicken salad.
- “Stuff” French toast slices with Greek Yogurt and strawberries.
- Make your own Greek Tzatziki sauce for gyros and chicken souvlaki: http://thehealthyfoodie.com/tzatziki-sauce/
Craving something sweet and unhealthy like doughnuts, cookies, or chocolate? Chobani has a great new line called Chobani Simply 100 Crunch. Why not grab a 100 calorie Greek Yogurt with some crunchy sweetness instead? In addition to the 10gms of protein, it is extremely low in fat, cholesterol, sodium, and only has one carb per serving. You can’t find that in doughnuts. It adds fruit and just a dash of sweetness from yummy things like chocolate, cookies, or waffle pieces. Remember, it’s all about moderation! You CAN have it all. Healthy food, that tastes great, and some sweets. I tried the Strawberry Chocolate Truffle and it tasted just like a chocolate covered strawberry! A much healthier dessert.
Here’s a great dip. My kids love helping me make this. Like Hummus? Like Edamame? Try:
1 1/2 cups cooked, shelled Edamame cooled
2 TBSP fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 medium cloves fresh garlic chopped
1 TBSP fresh flat leaf parsley chopped
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
3 TBSP fat free Plain Greek yogurt
In a food processor combine Edamame, lemon juice, garlic, parsley and salt. Process til mixture is paste like and Edamame is finely chopped. Drizzle olive oil and blend until well mixed. Add yogurt and mix. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 3 days. Makes 2 1/2 cups.
Tropical Protein Shake
½ cup frozen Mangoes, diced
½ cup frozen Pineapple, diced
8oz Coconut milk
4oz Plain Greek Yogurt
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
Mix all in a blender, pour and serve.
While you’re at it, make extra and pour into popsicle molds and have a frozen, high protein treat!
Of course, exercise also plays an important role in keeping your weight under control. While you’re crunching on Chobani Simply 100 Crunch, here’s a cool way to “crunch the numbers” and burn 100 calories by keeping active and having fun. Which is your favorite way to burn calories?
Want more Greek Yogurt snack ideas? Want a free coupon to buy Chobani? Visit their Simply 100 website:
Follow the party on Twitter too! #Simply100
So what do you think? Do you eat Greek Yogurt? What’s your favorite way to eat it? Any special recipes?
I love hearing from you!
The greatest compliment you can give me is when you share this with others.
I sincerely appreciate it: